We never knew that turkey is a good source of protein, especially when served up cold. So avoid the boring Boxing Day buffet and make the most of the bird!
- 4 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, thyme and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Toss with turkey, vegetables and cheese sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve immediately or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 6 servings.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
Turkey Focaccia Club Sarnie
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) focaccia bread
- 3 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced Gouda cheese
- 8 slices tomato
- 6 bacon strips, cooked
- In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients until blended. Using a long serrated knife, cut focaccia horizontally in half. Spread cut sides with mayonnaise mixture. Layer bottom half with lettuce, turkey, cheese, tomato and bacon; replace bread top. Cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 10- to 12-pound turkey)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot; add the water, onion, salt and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove carcass; cool. Strain broth and skim off fat. Discard onion and bay leaves. Return broth to the pan. Add the carrots, rice, celery and chopped onion; cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove turkey from bones; discard bones and cut turkey into bite-size pieces. Add turkey and cream soup to broth; heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2 quarts).
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.
Turkey and Veggie Lasagna
- 4 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter
- 1 package(s) (10-ounce) sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 1/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) low-fat (1%) milk, warmed
- 1 can(s) (14- to 14.5-ounce) chicken broth (1 3/4 cups)
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 package(s) (10-ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cup(s) leftover cooked turkey, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup(s) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon margarine on medium. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic, and cook about 8 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, melt remaining margarine on medium. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and broth until well blended; cook until sauce thickens and boils, stirring frequently. Boil 2 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 8″ by 8″ glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of baking dish; arrange 2 noodles over sauce, overlapping to fit. Top evenly with half of spinach, half of turkey, then 1/2 cup sauce; sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Top with 2 noodles, mushroom mixture, 3/4 cup mozzarella, then 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 2 noodles, remaining spinach and turkey, then 3/4 cup sauce, and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Arrange remaining noodles on top; spoon remaining sauce over noodles to cover. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Spray sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray (or use nonstick foil); cover baking dish, sprayed (or nonstick) side down. Bake lasagna 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly in the center and lightly browned on top. Let stand 15 minutes for easier serving.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR!