The uber cool among you may well have drunk out of jam jars in some of the trendy bars around here. Now it is time to take it to another level by filling up your jar with food.
- old fashioned rolled oats (avoid instant, quick, or steel-cut)
- Greek yogurt
- milk (I use almond)
- flax seeds
- Add oats, milk, yogurt, and flax seeds to jam jar.
- Leave enough room so you can shake to combine, if packed to tight it makes it harder.
- Add one of the following combinations:
Blueberry and Honey
Banana and Dark Chocolate
Store in the fridge to let it combine.
Sweet Blackberry and Grilled Peach Red Quinoa Parfaits
• 2 peaches, halved and pitted
• 1 cup cooked and cooled red quinoa (follow package instructions)
• 1 cup blackberries (or mixed berries)
• Two containers or roughly 1 cup Greek yogurt (plain or otherwise)
• 4 teaspoons raw honey
• 4 teaspoons slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the peaches cut-side up in a baking dish.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until the flesh has softened.
- Remove the peels, if desired, and chop the peaches into about 1/2 inch pieces.
- For the layers I like to add the 2 tbsp. of quinoa in the bottom, then 2 tbsp. blackberries, an 8th of the peachers, 2 tbsp yogurt, half tsp. raw honey and half tsp. slivered almonds.
- repeat the layers until almost full, then garnish with extra fruit or almonds.
Paleo Egg Breakfast in a Jar
- 4 or 8 large eggs
- 3/4 lb button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into chunks
- 2 greens onions, finely chopped
- 1 handful steamed broccoli
- 1 tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. almond flour
- ½ cup of chicken stock
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. clarified butter or ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a skillet placed over a medium-high heat, add the bacon and the cooking fat and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes, until brown.
- Add the mushrooms and the green onions to the bacon and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the almond flour and combine everything together, then add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook until a nice texture is obtained.
- Prepare 4 glass jars and rub some cooking fat on the bottom and inside edges. Pour some of the bacon and mushroom mixture evenly in each jar and break one or two eggs on top. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Place the 4 jars into a big cooking pot, making sure they are stable and add water until it reaches the middle of your jars. Bring to a medium-high heat and cook 15 to 20 min or until the eggs are cooked the way you like them.
- Once the cooking is done, remove the glass jars from the pot using a jar lifter, being careful not to burn yourself on the very hot jars. Set aside until cool enough to handle, sprinkle some chives on top and serve.
Great Granola Breakfast
- Mixed frozen berries (I get the antioxidant blend from Costco)
- greek yogurt
- granola (see below for my favorite)
- sprouted seeds (chia, broccoli, etc)
- Layer bottom with dark berries. Use about 1/3 cup organic frozen raspberries
- Spoon greek yogurt. 1/4-1/2 cup
- Add your favorite granola, 1/4-1/2 cup.